Celebrate Earth Day Today and Everyday
April 22nd is Earth Day! Below is a list of all sorts of things you can do to make a difference on the planet, in your own lives, and for your loved ones.
– Commercially grown produce travels far distances equaling lots of fuel burned and fewer nutrients for you.
– Grow your own produce when possible.
– Shop local farmers markets. Lowell’s will open this summer at the Lucy Larcom Park. See this listing of those in surrounding towns.
– Non organic produce is grown using pesticides, synthetic fertilizers, ect. Organic animals do not take antibiotics or growth hormones.
– Remember: non organic produce is always better than no produce! Check out this list of organic foods to try.
Be a chef
– When you cook your own meals and eat at home you are reducing consumption of packaging and plastic cutlery. Try a new recipe.
Try to eat less meat
– Eating more plant based food is good for the environment, healthy for you and cheaper!
– Start by going meatless on Mondays.
Re-useable water bottles
– Oil is required to make bottled water and we barely recycle them leading to clogging of landfills.
– Carry a reusable bottle and refill it.
– Pass up the drive thru and plan a picnic, turn off the TV and go for a family hike, skip the coffee date and go for walk together.
Rebecca Foulkes, BS, CLC
Lowell WIC Program