Women, Infants, and Children (WIC)
Free Nutrition Program for Massachusetts Families
About This Program
WIC stands for Women, Infants, and Children. It is a free nutrition program for Massachusetts families that provides healthy foods, nutrition education, breastfeeding support, and referrals to healthcare and other services. WIC’s goal is to keep pregnant and breastfeeding women, and children under age 5 healthy. WIC is a unique program, which provides links to health and social service agencies, as well as food and nutrition services, to low to moderate income people in critical stages of growth and development.
Participants must live in Massachusetts, have a household income at or below 185% federal poverty level, have at least one of the medical or dietary conditions listed in the WIC nutrition risk criteria, and be either pregnant, breastfeeding (up to one year post partum), breast feeding and using formula for their infant (0-11 months old) and have children under the age of five years old.
Guidelines: April 24, 2017 – June 30, 2018
|1||$22,311||$1,860||$ 859||$ 430|
|For each additional family member add…||+$7,733||+$645||+$298||+$149|
If you are pregnant, you should count yourself as two.
- Nutrition education and counseling on the importance of breastfeeding, appropriate feeding for infants, good diet during pregnancy, how to make good food choices, meal planning, and purchasing healthy food on a limited budget
- WIC card to redeem at participating grocery stores or pharmacies for the WIC approved foods which may include fruits, vegetables, whole grains, milk, cheese, eggs, 100 % fruit juice, iron fortified cereal, peanut butter, dried beans, infant formula and baby foods and vegetables
- Referrals to other health care and social service agencies. WIC services are intended to supplement participant’s primary care
- Coupons for fresh fruits and vegetables redeemable at farmers’ markets across the state
- Good Food Project – Weekly topics on healthy eating (recipes, smart shopping, food demos and more)
Community Teamwork’s WIC Locations and Hours:
45 Kirk Street
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday 9-5
Saturday 9-1 (usually the 1st & 3rd Saturday)
Lowell Community Health Center
161 Jackson Street, 4th Floor
Same hours as Kirk Street, except not open Saturdays
126 Phoenix Avenue
Tuesdays and Thursdays 9-5
WIC Day at Lowell Farmers’ Market, Lucy Larcom Park, 8/11/17