Women, Infants, and Children (WIC)
Free Nutrition Program for Massachusetts Families
Click here to see the faces of the WIC staff here to help you! Leave a message at (978)454-6397 and we will return your call. We are also available for phone appointments so you will not be without benefits during this time!! Not on WIC and want to apply? Start your application online at mass.gov/wic!
Lowell Farmers’ Market at Community Teamwork: To find a list of all the farmers, farm stands and anyone else that takes WIC look on: www.mass.gov or https://massnrc.org/farmlocator/map.aspx You can also search for a place near you that will take WIC, SNAP, HIP or senior coupons. (www.commteam.org/lowell-farmers-market)
IN AUGUST WE CELEBRATED WORLD BREASTFEEDING WEEK – We put together this VIDEO of all of our Lowell WIC staff sharing their favorite reasons as to why they promote and support breastfeeding. Also, here is the NEWSLETTER we sent out this week.
APRIL 2020 UPDATE: Community Teamwork has received an update from the state for our clients who are receiving an emergency SNAP allotment for the months of March and April. Click the link for details are attached along with some answers to frequently asked questions should you be speaking with any clients who are SNAP recipients.
About This Program
WIC stands for Women, Infants, and Children. It is a free nutrition program for Massachusetts families that provides healthy foods, nutrition education, breastfeeding support, and referrals to healthcare and other services. WIC’s goal is to keep pregnant and breastfeeding women, and children under age 5 healthy. WIC is a unique program, which provides links to health and social service agencies, as well as food and nutrition services, to low to moderate income people in critical stages of growth and development.
Participants must live in Massachusetts, have a household income at or below 185% federal poverty level, have at least one of the medical or dietary conditions listed in the WIC nutrition risk criteria, and be either pregnant, breastfeeding (up to one year post partum), breast feeding and using formula for their infant (0-11 months old) and have children under the age of five years old.
How to File a Complaint Updates:
OASCR USDA Discrimination Complaint information should use the following updated links:
- https://www.usda.gov/sites/default/files/documents/USDA-OASCR%20P-Complaint-Form-0508-0002-508-11-28-17Fax2Mail.pdf (English version)
- https://www.ocio.usda.gov/sites/default/files/docs/2012/Spanish_Form_508_Compliant_6_8_12_0.pdf (Spanish version)
The second hyperlink in any electronic version of the NDS states, “How to File a Complaint.” This hyperlink should be checked to ensure that it links to the correct instructions for filing a complaint at the following URL:
If you are pregnant, you should count yourself as two.
- Nutrition education and counseling on the importance of breastfeeding, appropriate feeding for infants, good diet during pregnancy, how to make good food choices, meal planning, and purchasing healthy food on a limited budget
- WIC card to redeem at participating grocery stores or pharmacies for the WIC approved foods which may include fruits, vegetables, whole grains, milk, cheese, eggs, 100 % fruit juice, iron fortified cereal, peanut butter, dried beans, infant formula and baby foods and vegetables
- Referrals to other health care and social service agencies. WIC services are intended to supplement participant’s primary care
- Coupons for fresh fruits and vegetables redeemable at farmers’ markets across the state
- Good Food Project – Weekly topics on healthy eating (recipes, smart shopping, food demos and more)
Community Teamwork’s WIC Locations and Hours:
Email us: LowellWIC@commteam.org
45 Kirk Street
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday 9-5
Saturday 9-1 (usually the 1st & 3rd Saturday)
Lowell Community Health Center
161 Jackson Street, 4th Floor
Same hours as Kirk Street, except not open Saturdays
126 Phoenix Avenue
Tuesdays and Thursdays 9-5
GOOD FOOD PROJECT COOKING DEMOS
Watch and learn as our WIC Nutritionists cook Delicious, Nutritious Dishes on a Budget using WIC foods!
Free samples provided!
Where: 45 Kirk Street Office
Times: Wednesdays at 5pm and Thursdays at 11am
POSTPONED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE.