First Time Home Buyers
If you are dreaming of buying your first home, consider taking our Steps to Homeownership First-time Homebuyer certificate course that gives graduates eligibility for Mass Housing low-interest mortgages, Mass Housing Partnership soft second program, and down-payment assistance in many Massachusetts cities and towns. This course is taught via Zoom, 6:00 PM – 8:30 PM.
The First Time Homebuyer’s Program’s Steps to Homeownership is a two or four-session first-time homebuyer seminar offered each month across northeastern Massachusetts. Graduates of this seminar receive a certificate that makes them eligible to apply for MHFA low-interest loans and down-payment assistance from cities throughout the state including but not limited to: Lowell, Lawrence, Methuen, Haverhill and Salem.
The certificate is good for the entire state of Massachusetts.
individuals complete the Steps to Homeownership course every year
In 2021 about 53 individuals will purchase a home
- The Home Buying Process
- Down Payment Assistance
- Choosing the Right Mortgage
- Legal Issues of Purchasing
- Home Inspections
- Choosing a Realtor
- Credit Reports and Budgeting
- Single, Multi, Condo
- CERTIFICATE IS GOOD FOR 2 YEARS
- GUEST SPEAKERS WILL PARTICIPATE AND ANSWER YOUR QUESTIONS
- CERTIFICATE MAKES YOU ELIGIBLE TO APPLY FOR:
- Down payment assistance in many cities throughout Massachusetts
- “M.H.F.A.” and MHP Low-interest mortgage rate mortgage loan products
- NOT ELIGIBLE for HUD mortgage approval – Our Framework online course is HUD approved
- You will be provided a link prior to the webinar.
- Times 6pm-8:30pm – Must attend all four
- February 15, 16, 22 & 23; 6pm-8:30pm
- March 14, 16, 21, & 23; 6pm-8:30pm
- April 11, 13, 18 & 20; 6pm-8:30pm
Community Teamwork’s First-Time Homebuyer Webinar (April 11, 13, 18 & 20)
Finding it hard to fit in a First Time Home Buyer Course because of your schedule?
Framework online home buyer course can be done at your convenience!
Buying a home is a big deal, whether you’re doing it for the first time or getting back into the ever-changing market. When you educate yourself for smart homeownership with Framework, you’ll navigate every step of the process with confidence.
Realtors and Mortgage Bankers see these advantages of the Framework course:
- Client knows the facts and steps before you start your home search, clarify process confusion.
- Certified by CHAPA as a First Time Homebuyers course.
- Taken at client’s convenience, 2 days or 6 months, 24/7, as long as taken on same computer.
- Client follow up conversation on phone or zoom can be scheduled Mon-Sat, 11am until 8pm.
- Course certification good for 2 years and can be extended with renewal.
- Client has access to course instructor before or after course is taken.
- Realtors will be happy to work with a certified serious client.
The Framework online homebuyer course is an alternative to CTI scheduled courses.
The course cost is an affordable: $75. After which, you are required to attend a one-on-one advisory session / exit briefing: $25. You will then receive your certificate of completion (required for many lender and other homebuyer incentives).
As an alternative to scheduled CTI courses referred to below, Community Teamwork offers Frameworks which provides the same homebuyer information as the scheduled classes, but you can do it individually, at your own pace.
Here’s the link for the online course: https://cti.frameworkhomeownership.org/ $75. Upon completion you are also required to complete an advisory session/exit briefing $25 – for that click here.
What topics are covered in the First Time Homebuyer Course?
The Steps to Homeownership first time homebuyer seminar is an 8-10 hour seminar that covers a road map that describes the steps to take in purchasing your first home. These includes topics such as budgeting, mortgage options, credit, working with a realtor, legal issues involved in purchasing a home and the importance of a home inspection.
What is the cost of attending the seminar?
The cost of seminar is $75 per household.
Do I receive a certificate?
This is a certificate course. The certificate enables you to apply for special first time home buyer mortgages, down payment assistance and housing lotteries
What is the purpose of the seminar?
The purpose of the seminar is education. You need to attend a first time home buyer seminar to understand your options when you purchase a home.
Is there an expiration date on the certificate?
The certificate is good for 2 years. You will need to renew the certificate if you do not close on a home within 2 years. The certificate can be renewed by attending the class for just $25
Why should I attend a pre-purchase seminar?
Buying a home is an experience unlike anything you’ve ever done. Also, it is likely to be the most expensive purchase you’ll ever make. Therefore, it just makes sense you that you need to be educated about the home buying process.
Who are the presenters at these seminars?
We use professionals in their various areas of expertise. These include lawyers, realtors, mortgage loan officers, home inspectors and budget counselors that have years of experience to share with you.
Is the certificate good only in certain communities?
The certificate is good for any community within Massachusetts.
Do you offer Landlord counseling in the event that I purchase a multi-family home?
Landlord counseling is offered at both our Wakefield and Lowell locations.
Cost $75. Once payment is made, a mutually agreeable date and time will be determined and counseling will occur in either Lowell or Wakefield!
The following topics are covered: $75 plus a $6.20 handling fee of
- Buying a rental property
- Lead Paint
- Finding a Tenant, types of tenancies, tenant remedies
- Security Deposits & Last month’s rent
- Fair housing
- Eviction & Small Claims
More About This Program: