A person who believes they have been discriminated against in housing can file a complaint with the Federal Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) or the Massachusetts Commission Against Discrimination (MCAD).  The Massachusetts Office of the Attorney General also accepts complaints of housing discrimination.

These executive agencies receive claims of discrimination, conduct investigations, and take legal action to enforce the law.  Where you choose to file a complaint will depend on your specific circumstances and preferences.  HUD accepts claims of discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, family status (children), and disability.  MCAD accepts claims of discrimination on these same seven bases and: sexual orientation; gender expression/identification; source of income (housing subsidy/public assistance); age/military/veteran status; ancestry; and genetic information.

If you believe you have been discriminated against, the Fair Housing Program can help.  You can complete our online request form here.  We can discuss enforcement options and help you complete a complaint with HUD or MCAD.  Below is useful information on the complaint process: