WIC’s 40th anniversary theme is Strengthening Families for 40 Years. In partnerhsip with the National WIC Association, Community Teamwork’s WIC staff are promoting and highlighting WIC’s four pillars of health and nutrtion:
- Healthy Food
- Nutrition Education
- Breastfeeding Support
- Healthcare Referrals
WIC empowers mothers and expectant mothers to be confident caregivers to their children by providing nutrition and health education and free and healthy food . Here are just some of the ways WIC has given back to to families, communities and the country in the past year:
WIC Fast Facts
- 90% of infants in WIC received iron-fortified formula
- 76% of WIC mothers in Massachusetts initiated breastfeeding.
- 53% of infants born in the U.S. are served by WIC.
- 52% of pregnant women enroll in WIC during their first trimester of pregnancy.
Benefits to Your Children
- Children enrolled in WIC have a regular source of medical care and receive up-to-date immunizations.
- WIC improves the growth of nutritionally at-risk infants and children, by providing them with a higher intake of iron, Vitamin C, thiamin, niacin and Vitamin B6.
- Children who receive WIC benefits demonstrate an improved intellectual development with high vocabulary scores for children of mothers who participated in WIC prenatally.
For more information, visit our WIC program at how-we-help/family-children/wic/. Also, please visit: